[PLUG] Flash Drive Recommendations?

Fred James fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net
Mon Aug 19 17:05:15 UTC 2013

Dick Steffens wrote:
> Any horror stories related to flash drives?
>
> Those $20 Lenovo machines Kieth mentioned that are available at Eco
> Binary don't have an optical media drive. So installing an OS would need
> to be done with a flash drive (or some other way, but that's the one I'm
> aware of).
>
> I'm looking at a SanDisk Cruzer 32 GB USB Flash Drive from Amazon.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Flash-Drive-SDCZ36-032G-AFFP/dp/B007JR532M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1376928931&sr=8-3&keywords=flash+drive
>
> There are two reviews that are somewhat contradictory. The first one
> says the thing is actually a 64 GB and he's happy with it.
>
> The second one says the transfer rate is slow, and it hangs on him.
>
> Any experience with these things (USB flash drives in general) for
> installing an OS?
>
> Thanks.
Personally I stick with Kingston ... only had one problem with one, and
Kingston RMA'd it with no hassle ... I have 4 Kingstons on my desk right now
     1 8GB
     2 32GB
     1 64GB
All of these are USB 2.0

No experience as yet with installing or running OS from flash drive ...
soon, though, soon ... that won't help you right now, eh?

Transfer rate ... my personal experence ...
     Had an older Intel P4 ... everything USB was dog slow
     Got a newer Intel Quad-core i3-3220 ... USB moves pretty well

Hope that helps
Regards
Fred James

Disclaimer ... I have no connection whatsoever with Kingston, and I
don't sell computer products of any kind.