[PLUG] Flash Drive Recommendations?

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Mon Aug 19 17:44:40 UTC 2013

On 08/19/2013 10:34 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> I bought a SanDisk Cruzer once several years ago. It came with some
> kind of software (called U2, if memory serves) that flashed a window on
> your screen every time it was mounted, proclaiming the virtues of
> SanDisk and how clever I was to have chosen it. It was impossible
> to remove it, at least no one I consulted could come up with a way to
> defeat it. Eventually I went to SanDisk's web site and discovered that
> they had so many complaints from users that they made a web-based
> removal utility. And it was not just me - once at the Clinic someone
> had one of these, and luckily I had bookmarked the page for the removal
> utility.
>
> Ever since I have avoided SanDisk.

Ah yes. The clueless marketing department strikes again.

> About a year and a half ago I was in Fry's where I spotted a 32 GB USB
> 3.0 thumb drive by Patriot. It was marked down to only $20, a decent
> price even today. When I got it home I figured out why it was marked
> down. They had formatted it NTFS instead of the usual FAT32. After a
> quick reformat it worked fine.
>
> Before you give your money to Amazon check out Fry's because they
> sometimes have deals like I found.

One reason I'm going to Amazon is that I need something else from them
and want to get the value of the order up over $25 to get the free
shipping. (What I need is around $10, but the shipping is close to $9!)

Thanks for the info.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens