[PLUG] Digital cameras with wifi

Scott Garman sgarman at zenlinux.com
Wed Aug 21 22:45:19 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I was in the market for a P&S digital camera recently and was surprised
to find that you can now get cameras with built-in WiFi for around
$150-200. The Sony WX80 I picked up has it, and of course has a
proprietary software app that works automatically with Windows and OS X,
Android and iOS.

Now, aside from the fact that I likely shot myself in the foot by buying
a Sony device in the first place, I was wondering if anyone knew what
protocol these cameras (Sonys and others) use to identify and transfer
files to computers on the wireless LAN.

I tried doing a port scan of the Windows machine running the Sony app,
but came up with nothing. The box says the camera is also DLNA
certified, and I wonder if that may also play a role.

It's generally not a huge hardship to transfer the files over USB, but
I'm curious, and haven't run into any promising search results on the
web yet.

Scott