[PLUG] Optical Drive Door Won't Open

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Aug 30 19:22:17 UTC 2013

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 11:16:34 -0700
Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> dijo:

>When I push the button on my DVD writer the light goes on, but the
>drawer doesn't open. I ran:

The high-tech tool for this is the paper clip. One one side of the Open
button or the other there is always a tiny hole, just wide enough to
admit a paper clip bent open. Sometimes you have to peer carefully to
see the hole, but I've never seen an optical drive without one.

Once you get the drive open you can investigate what might have caused
it to get stuck. In my experience some drives just hang occasionally
without any apparent reason. That is, I'm sure there is a reason, but
armed with my trusty paper clip I've never found it worth the effort to
figure it out.