[PLUG] Optical Drive Door Won't Open

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Fri Aug 30 20:42:52 UTC 2013

On 08/30/2013 11:58 AM, Paul Munday wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-08-30 at 11:16 -0700, Dick Steffens wrote:
>> When I push the button on my DVD writer the light goes on, but the
>> drawer doesn't open.
>>
>> So I'm assuming that the problem must be with the drawer itself. Has
>> anyone ever seen this before? Any recommendations on what to do about it?
>>
> You can use a paper clip to open it manually

One nice thing about this tower is that it fits nicely under my desk.
One unfortunate thing about this tower is that I have to pull it out
from under the desk to work on it. So, I'll try the paper clip after
lunch. Meanwhile ...

> or run 'eject' from the command line.

:~$ eject
eject: unable to eject, last error: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Googling that error message turned up:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/eject/+bug/398670

I tried sudo eject with the same results.

I tried eject -v with these results:

---------------------------------
~$ eject -v
eject: using default device `cdrom'
eject: device name is `cdrom'
eject: expanded name is `/dev/cdrom'
eject: `/dev/cdrom' is a link to `/dev/sr0'
eject: `/dev/sr0' is not mounted
eject: `/dev/sr0' is not a mount point
eject: `/dev/sr0' is not a multipartition device
eject: trying to eject `/dev/sr0' using CD-ROM eject command
eject: CD-ROM eject command failed
eject: trying to eject `/dev/sr0' using SCSI commands
eject: SCSI eject failed
eject: trying to eject `/dev/sr0' using floppy eject command
eject: floppy eject command failed
eject: trying to eject `/dev/sr0' using tape offline command
eject: tape offline command failed
eject: unable to eject, last error: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Off to lunch.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens