[PLUG] Different file sizes on different computers

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Dec 10 17:58:29 UTC 2013

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 09:21:46 -0800
Cian Montgomery <cian at cianx.com> dijo:

>It looks like the new file sizes are being reported in GB/MB and the
>old in GiB/MIB
>http://www.conversioncenter.net/bits-and-bytes-conversion/from-gibibyte-(GiB)-to-gigabyte-(GB)

I doubt that this is the cause of the discrepancy. The old computer has
Xfce 4.8 and the folders were checked with Thunar 1.2.3, where the new
computer has Xfce 4.10 and the files were checked with Thunar 1.6.3. In
both cases Thunar said "GB" and "MB," not "GiB" or "MiB." I assume the
developers of Thunar know the difference.

As for worries about file corruption and using tools to verify that the
files are good copies, I doubt that is necessary. For one thing, for
each folder the size differences are about the same percentage (I
rounded in my original post). Also, these are just distro ISOs, so if
something got messed up I can just re-download them. And, in fact,
after copying them (via USB stick) to the new computer I actually
burned one of the ISOs and used it without issue.

I think the best answer so far is different block sizes. Both drives
are ext4. I tried to check what block sizes the two drives used, but
Palimpsest and Gparted do not give that information. Is there a command
line tool that I can use to check this?