[PLUG] Can't install Scribus 1.4.3 on Xubuntu 13.10

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Dec 12 02:36:55 UTC 2013

I have Scribus 1.4.3, the latest stable version, installed on my old
Xubuntu 12.04 computer. It was installed by adding a PPA repository to
the sources list.

On my new Xubuntu 13.10 computer the latest version that appears in
Synaptic is 1.4.2, a version that is now over a year old. I added the
same PPA repository to the new computer, but Synaptic still lists just
1.4.2. Yet Synaptic on the old computer with the same PPA repository
lists 1.4.3. I have no explanation for this.

I tried to compile from source at least a dozen times so far, but it
always fails. I am unable to understand the error messages, so I can't
figure out how to fix what went wrong. I do know that there at least a
dozen dependencies that are not automatically included in Ubuntu, but I
have installed all that I know about. I have asked on the Scribus
listserv and have received numerous suggestions, but the compile still
fails.

I have also searched for a precompiled package for 1.4.3, but I cannot
find it anywhere on the net. That is, there are .exe packages for
Windows, but I can't find a .deb or .rpm. Does anyone know if there is
a distro that has a precompiled package for 1.4.3 in its repos? Could I
sneak in late at night when the lights are out and purloin the package?

The development version, 1.5, has some cool new features that I have
been begging for, but I know it requires a long list of qt5
dependencies, most of which are not in the Ubuntu repos, even though
qt5 was released over a year ago. There are no precompiled packages, so
my only choice would be to compile from source, and the prospects of
accomplishing that don't look good. If I thought I had a chance of
getting it installed I might try it.

Any suggestions are welcome.