[PLUG] Can't install Scribus 1.4.3 on Xubuntu 13.10

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Dec 12 16:09:31 UTC 2013

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 22:37:44 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

>On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 22:02:31 -0800
>wes <plug at the-wes.com> dijo:
>
>>The problem with package repositories is that they list packages known
>>to be compatible with specific versions of the OS. So the repo you
>>added has to have a package for your OS in order for Synaptic to use
>>it.
>>
>>Unless of course, you hack it. You can tell Synaptic to use the
>>package for the wrong OS. I do this all the time and it "usually"
>>works just fine. If you're interested in going this route, we can work
>>on it at the clinic or you can give me the link to the PPA you use and
>>I'll see if I can figure out the right incantation from here.
>
>I already tried to hack the PPA repository. It ended in "saucy main"
>and I left it at that at first. But when it made no difference in the
>packages available in Synaptic I edited the line and changed it to
>"precise main," the same as it is on my 12.04 laptop. I reloaded the
>repositories again and there was still no change in the packages
>available in Synaptic.
>
>But that is the only sleight of hand that I can think of. If you have
>other ideas, I'd be happy to try them.
>
>When I first started using Linux I recall that when you installed a
>package that the OS would save the .deb file somewhere on your
>computer. If that is still true, the .deb file for 1.4.3 ought to be
>lurking somewhere on my 12.04 computer. For that matter, the .deb file
>ought to be in a repository somewhere on the net.
>
>It might also be interesting to see if I can compile 1.5 from source.
>But given the massive difficulties with this that have been reported on
>the Scribus listserv (requires qt5), I'm guessing that such an effort
>would be best left for this Sunday's Clinic. Even if I can get 1.4.3
>installed before then, it might be interesting to have 1.5 as well -
>they can be installed side by side. Scribus 1.5 has some really cool
>new features that I have been wanting for a long time (Itables,
>indexing, footnotes, inter alia).

Late last night I succeeded in compiling 1.4.3, now running fine. I'd
still like to compile the development version 1.5, but that would be
best left for a Sunday exercise due to anticipated dependency hell.

At the Clinic I also want to install a new mSATA drive that finally
arrived and then use clonezilla, or some other tool, to move the two
partitions on the current drive to it. That should be lots of fun.

So far I have five days of labor invested in the fresh install on the
new computer, and there are still a few programs to get installed.