[PLUG] Clonezilla 'n stuff

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Dec 17 06:48:56 UTC 2013

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 21:21:38 -0800
David <dafr+plug at dafr.us> dijo:

>Yes, the grub-install should set partition boot flag so that it is
>capable of booting. You may need to confirm this using
>fdisk/parted/whatever to ensure it really did everything necessary.
>Running the same command a second time shouldn't do anything if it's
>already set properly.

Both gparted and palimpsest say that SDA1 and SDB1 are bootable, and
both say that SDA2 and SDB2 are flagged as home.

>I also personally never got the hang of UUID values for booting and
>might suggest that you archive the /etc/fstab and use partition names
>instead to see if that helps debug anything.
>
>Additionally, you may want to enable verbose boot with grub2 and see
>what that gives you when trying to boot from /dev/sdb1, and where it
>derails.
>
>Lastly, what does the BIOS/EFI say is the order of the two drives? If
>one is the master and the other the slave, that might also be stomping
>on you, but not knowing anything about the laptop, I can't help you
>beyond that.

I don't recall seeing anything about masters and slaves. Both are SATA3
drives. Do SATA drives even have master/slave settings? Having said
that, I am curious how the BIOS decides which is the hard drive to boot
to.