[PLUG] Clonezilla 'n stuff

Paul Mullen pm at nellump.net
Tue Dec 17 07:37:18 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 07:41:55PM -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> Also, /etc/fstab on SDA1 and SDB1 are identical, as
> are /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
>
> Initially after using Clonezilla any attempt to boot to SDB would just
> hang. However, on the Ubuntu forums I found a suggestion to use:
>
> 	sudo grub-install /dev/sdb
>
> And afterward it no longer hangs when I select SDB to boot to.
> Unfortunately, the boot proceeds on SDA, not SDB. It would be
> interesting to see what would happen if I physically removed SDA from
> the computer, but I haven't tried that yet.

You successfully installed GRUB to /dev/sdb, but with a grub.cfg that
is identical to the one on /dev/sda.  You need to install GRUB on
/dev/sdb with a grub.cfg that actually points to the /boot and root
partitions on /dev/sdb.

Is it an Ubuntu system?  If so, run `sudo update-grub` and it should
regenerate grub.cfg with all of the bootable partitions it finds.
Then run `grub-install /dev/sdb`.  (You'll probably want to do this
all over again once you wipe /dev/sda.)

--
Paul Mullen