[PLUG] Clonezilla 'n stuff

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Dec 17 17:01:45 UTC 2013

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 23:44:55 -0800
Paul Mullen <pm at nellump.net> dijo:

>On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 11:37:17PM -0800, Paul Mullen wrote:
>> You successfully installed GRUB to /dev/sdb, but with a grub.cfg that
>> is identical to the one on /dev/sda.  You need to install GRUB on
>> /dev/sdb with a grub.cfg that actually points to the /boot and root
>> partitions on /dev/sdb.
>>
>> Is it an Ubuntu system?  If so, run `sudo update-grub` and it should
>> regenerate grub.cfg with all of the bootable partitions it finds.
>> Then run `grub-install /dev/sdb`.  (You'll probably want to do this
>> all over again once you wipe /dev/sda.)
>
>It's possible that update-grub will only inspect the current /boot,
>rather than scouring every partition the kernel can see.  (I don't
>recall precisely.)  If that's the case, you might try booting the
>Ubuntu installer in rescue mode.  It will give you option of mounting
>any of your system's partitions as the root file system.  Pick
>/dev/sdb1, and once it reaches a shell, then run update-grub and
>grub-install.

Yes, it is Xubuntu 13.10.

This sounds much easier and less error prone than trying to edit
grub.cfg manually. Editing fstab is easy, but grub.cfg is
incomprehensible.

However, Clonezilla did exactly what it was supposed to do - clone the
partitions on SDA to SDB, *including their UUIDs*. So before I boot
to the rescue CD and use the commands I need to give SDB1 and SDB2
new UUIDs, else the commands will just replace grub.cfg on SDB1 with the
same grub.cfg. And I think I would also need to edit fstab on SDB1.

Thanks for the Rescue CD suggestion. :)