[PLUG] Clonezilla 'n stuff

Paul Mullen pm at nellump.net
Tue Dec 17 19:31:48 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 09:01:45AM -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> However, Clonezilla did exactly what it was supposed to do - clone the
> partitions on SDA to SDB, *including their UUIDs*. So before I boot
> to the rescue CD and use the commands I need to give SDB1 and SDB2
> new UUIDs, else the commands will just replace grub.cfg on SDB1 with the
> same grub.cfg. And I think I would also need to edit fstab on SDB1.
>
> Thanks for the Rescue CD suggestion. :)

The magic of the installer's rescue mode is the option it gives you to
mount any of your disk partitions as the root filesystem.  The
installer boots from its own kernel and initramfs, but once that's
done, it mounts the partition of your choice on /.  From there, you
can run the necessary commands and they'll work just like if you'd
booted directly from that partition.

And yes, you'll also need to fix your /etc/fstab.  That's easy,
though.  `sudo blkid /dev/sdb1` will give you the UUID you need to
use.

--
Paul Mullen
pm at nellump.net