[PLUG] End-of-year Issues Resolution

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Dec 21 18:30:12 UTC 2013

   While I'm trying to get this new Belkin N900 WAP working here I might as
well try to fix a few other annoyances with the Dell Latitude E5410; these
solutions have eluded me for several years.

   I prefer to swap the left Ctrl and Caps keys to match the original IBM
keyboard layout in the early 1980s. Having the following contents in
~/.keymap works in every other host but the Dell:

# Exchange the left Control key and the Caps Lock key on the keyboard
keymaps 0-2,4-6,8-9,12
keycode 58 = Control
keycode 29 = Caps_Lock

(Dean Messing suggested the first line in July 2002 when I had this issue
with a different laptop; it worked there.)

   When I log in on the Dell's consoles I see this:

[rshepard at caddis ~]$ loadkeys ~/.keymap
Keymap 0: Permission denied
Keymap 1: Permission denied
Keymap 2: Permission denied
KDSKBENT: Operation not permitted
loadkeys: could not deallocate keymap 3

   My Web searches for KBSKBENT: Operation not permitted and Keymap 0:
Permission denied did not turn up anything useful. Reading the man pages for
loadkeys, dumpkeys, and keymaps did not help me find the source of the
problem.

   FWIW, the X Window System equivalent, ~/.xmodmap works fine on the Dell.

   A clue stick on where to look for the source of the problem would be much
appreciated.