[PLUG] Stupid NFS question

Bill Barry bill at billbarry.org
Mon Dec 23 21:03:32 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 10:12 AM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 01:41:09 -0800
> Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net> dijo:

> >John> It must be satisfactory because the desktop sees the folder. It
> >John> just won't mount it on the desktop due to permissions. Or at
> >John> least that's what the error message leads me to believe.
> >
> >This sounds a lot like a uid/gid mismatch.  Your user id and group id
> >need to be the same on both machines.
>
> To reiterate, the laptop (server) is 192.168.0.155 and the desktop
> (client) is 192.168.0.146. Here is the error message again from the
> desktop (two lines, wrapped):
>
>         sudo mount -t nfs
>                 192.168.0.155:/media/jjj/Movies /media/jjj/Devil--Bonobo
>         mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting
>                 192.168.0.155:/media/jjj/Movies
>
> And also from the desktop:
>
>         showmount -e 192.168.0.155
>         Export list for 192.168.0.155:
>         /media/jjj/Movies 127.0.0.1,192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
>
> I take the mount.nfs error message as indicating a permissions problem,
> and the second command as meaning that the desktop does at least see the
> share on the laptop.
>
> Also, on the laptop I did 'sudo chmod 777 /media/jjj/Movies.' And on
> both computers I am jjj:jjj. Using the GUI I looked at the permissions
> for jjj:jjj and they are the same on both computers. On the desktop I
> also tried the mount command after doing sudo su to become root, but I
> still get the same error message.

Your username and group may be the same on both machines, but as Russell
pointed out,  it is not the names that should be the same, but the
underlying uid and gid. These are numbers defined in the /etc/passwd and
/etc/group files.  If you read the man file for /etc/exports there is a
more detailed explanation.