[PLUG] Stupid NFS question - Progress!

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Dec 24 04:28:34 UTC 2013

On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 19:14:48 -0800
Chris Schafer <xophere at gmail.com> dijo:

>I would set it up to mount somewhere else if you are going to count on
>serving it out.  What you are doing should be fine but I am guess
>something unexpected is happening if what you said is correct about
>the privs and the export settings.
>
>I would export /media.
>
>Or mount the drive somewhere else.  That said I am not sure the best
>way to make sure that usb device is mounted specifically somewhere
>else.  I would imagine there is a way but again more complicated.

OK, I tried this. I added a third line to exports to export
just /media. On the desktop I was able to mount it. Elated, I opened
Thunar only to discover a big padlock on /media/jjj. From the command
line I did chown jjj:jjj, and it executed without error, but the padlock
remained. Then I did sudo chmod 777 -R /media, which produced error
messages:

	chmod: changing permissions of /media/jjj/Devil-Bonobo:
	Operation not permitted

And so on for everything in /media.

Using Thunar I checked on Properties for /media/jjj and it said that it
was owned by root:root. I assume that it was owned by root because I
had to use sudo to mount it. But that doesn't make sense. We always
have to use sudo to mount things, but the regular user can still see
them after they are mounted. And how is it that root cannot change
permissions?

I also tried deleting the jjj folder in /media on the laptop, then
mounting Movies. Xubuntu just recreated the jjj folder and mounted
Movies at /media/jjj. Adding <username> at media may not have been the
best idea, but apparently we're stuck with it.

I wonder if it is possible to mount a filesystem at more than one place
simultaneously. Movies has to stay mounted at /media/jjj because
Ktorrent is seeding torrent data located there. Changing data locations
in Ktorrent is a major pain (I've had to do it). But if I could mount
movies simultaneously in ~/, then the ~/ share should suffice, since it
is working.