[PLUG] Mount point of optical drive

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Dec 26 19:59:52 UTC 2013

On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 11:41:19 -0800
Bill Barry <bill at billbarry.org> dijo:

>On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM, John Jason Jordan
><johnxj at comcast.net>wrote:

>> There is probably a command line incantation that will list mounted
>> devices, but I can't figure out what it is.

That's what I tried first, but it does not show the CDROM, even though
Thunar sees the files on it:

/dev/sdb1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /run/user type tmpfs
	(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=104857600,mode=0755)
none on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw)
/dev/sdb2 on /home type ext4<(rw,nosuid,nodev)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type
binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
rpc_pipefs on /run/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
systemd on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup
	(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,none,name=systemd)
nfsd on /proc/fs/nfsd type nfsd (rw)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse
	(rw,nosuid,nodev,user=jjj)
/dev/sdc on /media/jjj/Movies type ext4
	(rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks2)

In the above SDB1 is root, /home is on SDB2, and SDC is an external USB
drive. I don't see anything that looks like an optical drive. Thunar's
location bar says it is cdda://sr0, so I guess it is /dev/sr0, but any
attempt to mount /dev/sr0 manually from the command line fails, e.g:

j$ sudo mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/sr0 /cdrom
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
       dmesg | tail  or so

And dmesg | tail just gives the same errors as above.

All I want to do is access files on the drive from the command line. If
only I could get the path correct!