[PLUG] Mount point of optical drive

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Dec 26 23:10:48 UTC 2013

On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 12:51:55 -0800
Dale Snell <ddsnell at frontier.com> dijo:

>On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 12:21:33 -0800
>John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 12:04:23 -0800
>> Michael Rasmussen <michael at jamhome.us> dijo:

>> >df -h provides a clean and easy to read listing.
>>
>> Much easier!
>>
>> $ df -h
>> Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>> /dev/sdb1        77G  8.3G   65G  12% /
>> none            4.0K     0  4.0K   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
>> udev            7.9G  4.0K  7.9G   1% /dev
>> tmpfs           1.6G  1.2M  1.6G   1% /run
>> none            5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
>> none            7.9G  308K  7.9G   1% /run/shm
>> none            100M   36K  100M   1% /run/user
>> /dev/sdb2       321G  181G  124G  60% /home
>> /dev/sdc        2.7T  783G  1.8T  30% /media/jjj/Movies
>>
>> But I still don't see the optical drive.
>
>Hi John,
>
>Try the lsblk(1) command

Even better than df -h.

$ lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 931.5G  0 disk
└─sda2   8:2    0 279.4G  0 part
sdb      8:16   0 447.1G  0 disk
├─sdb1   8:17   0  78.1G  0 part /
└─sdb2   8:18   0 325.7G  0 part /home
sdc      8:32   0   2.7T  0 disk /media/jjj/Movies
sr0     11:0    1 553.6M  0 rom

I had already pretty much figured out that it was sr0. And I note that
it does not have a mount point. It appears Wes is right.

The CD in the drive contains .wav files that are the result of a
phonetics project. I need to convert them to mp3 so that I can easily
analyze parts of them in Praat and share them with others interested in
the work. Normally I use lame at the command line to convert .wav files
to mp3, but without a mount point that is impossible.

Using the GUI I can drag them to my hard disk, but the copy errors out
at the last minute on every single one of them.