[PLUG] Mount point of optical drive

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Dec 27 00:17:43 UTC 2013

On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 15:10:48 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

>The CD in the drive contains .wav files that are the result of a
>phonetics project. I need to convert them to mp3 so that I can easily
>analyze parts of them in Praat and share them with others interested in
>the work. Normally I use lame at the command line to convert .wav files
>to mp3, but without a mount point that is impossible.
>
>Using the GUI I can drag them to my hard disk, but the copy errors out
>at the last minute on every single one of them.

As a final note in this discussion, I figured out a workaround.

When the audio disk is inserted Xfce was automatically opening the
tracks Parole, which I think is Ubuntu's new name for Totem. Parole has
few options, but the Xfce settings manager allowed me to change the
default audio player to gmusicbrowser. In gmusicbrowser you can enable
a plugin that will rip a CD by opening Sound Juicer. In Sound Juicer
you can set the preferences to mp3, but after trying it I discovered
that it does so at very low quality and there are no options to change
it. However, Sound Juicer can also be set to save as flac, which is
lossless.

I just ripped one of several of these CDs to flac files, all perfect.