[PLUG] Dumb network question

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Dec 27 22:35:27 UTC 2013

I recently imposed on everyone here asking for help to get NFS working
between my laptop (192.168.0.155, server) and my desktop
(192.168.0.146, client). Today I had to reboot the laptop. Afterward
the desktop was unable to mount the share. And showmount -e
192.168.0.155 said there was no path to the server.

It didn't take me long to figure out the problem. Ifconfig on the
laptop says it is now 192.168.0.131.

Rebooting changes its address? If so, that will not do. The desktop
needs to know where its server is. How can I fix the laptop (and the
desktop too, for that matter) with am IP address that will always be
the same?