[PLUG] Hardware compatibility help - USB long range Wifi adapter

Roderick A. Anderson raanders42 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 22:59:54 UTC 2013

On 02/02/2013 10:51 AM, Diane Petersen wrote:
> I have an Acer Aspire netbook running Ubuntu 12.04-32 bit, and the
> internal wireless network adapter has gone intermittent.  I will be
> traveling soon and decided to go ahead and get a USB adapter with long
> range capabilities instead of replacing the internal one.  I have done
> research, primarily on the Alfa units.  It seems I should be looking
> at chipset and compatibility with my kernel version.  It looks like
> these units are using a variety of Realtek, Ralink, and Atheros sets.
> Linux drivers are incredibly hard to find.  I'm coming up on Google
> with vague "it sort of works but your have to…" over things I cannot
> understand.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166056

I've installed one of these for a couple of friends and both worked out
of the box.  A another friend recommended it and likes it so much he has
had extras on hand that I've bought from him.
    One install was for Windows Vista machine and the CD had the driver
(if that interests anyone.)

Signal-wise it far exceeded my ASUS Netbook's wireless.  I saw about 3
to 4 times as many access points around my house with it.

Rod