[PLUG] Where do I find more properties of menu items in Ubuntu 12.04 Gnome Classic Applications menu?

rsteff at comcast.net rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Feb 8 23:41:24 UTC 2013

Still working on getting programs that run on Ubuntu 10.04 to run on
  12.04.

  Today's exercise is trying to get the python program footpedal to
  work. I am able to install the .deb with the Ubuntu Software Center.
  When I click on it's entry in

  Applications >
  System Tools > Preferences I hear some disk accessing but nothing
  happens that I can see. What I'm used to happening is that an icon
  appears at the top of the screen that allows me to configure the
  tool.

  I first tried installing the same .deb file I use in 10.04. I
  thought that maybe I need to get the source and install from that,
  so I downloaded it via svn and ran the shell script

  make_binary_package.sh. It appeared to run to completion. It created
  a new footpedal_0.5_0buntu1_all.deb and then installed it. However I
  still get the same results as above.

  Next I wondered if I was supposed to uninstall the earlier version
  first. That was version 0.4. Since I installed it using the Ubuntu
  Software Center I thought that's where I should go to uninstall it.
  However the only option provided is reinstall.

  Next I wondered just what program is being called from Applications

  System Tools > Preferences. How does one go about finding out
  that information? I have the menu editor Main Menu installed, but it
  does not show the path to the program in its properties. All it says
  is:

  Type: Application

  Name: Footpedal Utility

  Command: footpedal

  Comment: Footpedal configuration panel

  That's the same information Main Menu shows for the version
  installed on my 10.04 machine.

  Another question is what log do I look in to see what happened when
  I clicked on that menu item?

  Thanks.

Regards,

Dick Steffens