[PLUG] Where do I find more properties of menu items in Ubuntu 12.04 Gnome Classic Applications menu?

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Sat Feb 9 00:43:12 UTC 2013

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 23:41:24 +0000 (UTC)
rsteff at comcast.net wrote:

> Still working on getting programs that run on Ubuntu 10.04 to run on
>   12.04.
>

>   Today's exercise is trying to get the python program footpedal to
>   work. I am able to install the .deb with the Ubuntu Software Center.
>   When I click on it's entry in
>
>   Applications >
>   System Tools > Preferences I hear some disk accessing but nothing
>   happens that I can see. What I'm used to happening is that an icon
>   appears at the top of the screen that allows me to configure the
>   tool.

Try running it from a shell window, and see what sort of error
messages are produced.  Since footpedal is a python program, you
may need to do something like

    $ python /path/to/footpedal.py

Or not, if footpedal is a shell script that executes the actual
python program.

------------>%======== snip! ========%<------------

>   Another question is what log do I look in to see what happened when
>   I clicked on that menu item?

Probably ~/.xsession-errors.  You might look in /var/log/messages
as well.  Also, doesn't Ubuntu use AppArmor?  I know next to
nothing about AppArmor, but if it were preventing your program
from running, I would imagine that it logged that event somewhere.
I've no idea where, though.

I'm afraid that's all I can think of.  Maybe some of the more
'buntu-oriented folks will chime in with better ideas.

--Dale

--
Vir:  I thought the purpose of filing these reports was to provide
accurate intelligence.