[PLUG] Where do I find more properties of menu items in Ubuntu 12.04 Gnome Classic Applications menu?

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Sat Feb 9 01:23:10 UTC 2013

On 02/08/2013 04:43 PM, Dale Snell wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 23:41:24 +0000 (UTC)
> rsteff at comcast.net wrote:
>
>>    Today's exercise is trying to get the python program footpedal to
>>    work.
> Try running it from a shell window, and see what sort of error
> messages are produced.  Since footpedal is a python program, you
> may need to do something like
>
>      $ python /path/to/footpedal.py

src$ python footpedal
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "footpedal", line 809, in <module>
     fs.startServerThread(None)
   File "footpedal", line 792, in startServerThread
     self.server_thread = ServerThread(self, self.hid_device_index)
   File "footpedal", line 120, in __init__
self.reusable_notification.attach_to_status_icon(self.app_window.my_status_icon)
AttributeError: 'pynotify.Notification' object has no attribute
'attach_to_status_icon'

Thanks. That's a start. Now I just have to figure out what all that
means. I know that this is python program uses gtk, so I'm guessing
that's my next line of research.

> ------------>%======== snip! ========%<------------
>
>>    Another question is what log do I look in to see what happened when
>>    I clicked on that menu item?
> Probably ~/.xsession-errors.  You might look in /var/log/messages
> as well.

I went looking for that and found that it doesn't exist. That seemed
odd, so I Googled it and found out that Ubuntu uses syslog, instead.
Screwy, but there it is. Anyway, there wasn't anything in
/var/log/syslog related to the problem.

> Also, doesn't Ubuntu use AppArmor?  I know next to
> nothing about AppArmor, but if it were preventing your program
> from running, I would imagine that it logged that event somewhere.
> I've no idea where, though.

I don't know anything about AppArmor, either. But it appears that the
problem exists with:

AttributeError: 'pynotify.Notification' object has no attribute
'attach_to_status_icon'

> I'm afraid that's all I can think of.

Thanks. It's something to start with.

--