[PLUG] Where did Arial go? Ubuntu 12.04 LibreOffice Writer

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Wed Feb 13 18:25:46 UTC 2013

On 02/13/2013 09:44 AM, Tim Bruce - PLUG wrote:
> On Wed, February 13, 2013 09:35, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
>> Upgrades sure are annoying.
>>
>> I've migrated to my Ubuntu 12.04 (32 bit) machine. I'm diving into a
>> real project this morning. The first thing I need to do is to set a
>> header to a Word doc with the name of the file rendered in Arial 9pt
>> bold italic. I've been doing this for months. I copy the file name, past
>> it into the header of the Word doc (using LibreOffice Writer, of
>> course), select what I just pasted, right click on it and pick Arial
>> from the list of available fonts. This worked fine in LibreOffice Writer
>> on Ubuntu 10.04. But Arial is not on the list. I checked to be sure that
>> msttcorefonts is installed. And, actually, Arial is present already in
>> the template Word doc file. I can type Arial into the font selection box
>> in the LibreOffice Writer tool bar, and it changes the font of the
>> selection to Arial.
>>
>> So, why isn't Arial listed as a font option? Times New Roman isn't
>> there, either, although it's present in the template file.
>>
>> <rant on>
>> Aren't all these "improvements" wonderful?
>> <rant off>
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dick Steffens

> I think you need to install the "Microsoft" true type fonts, which aren't
> installed by default.
>
> If I remember correctly, the following command will start the process:
>      sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer

Thanks for the idea, but that's already done:

rsteff at Gateway-E-4500D:~$ sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer
[sudo] password for rsteff:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
ttf-mscorefonts-installer is already the newest version.
required:
   kde-l10n-engb kde-l10n-zhcn
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 14 not upgraded.
rsteff at Gateway-E-4500D:~$

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens