[PLUG] Where did Arial go? Ubuntu 12.04 LibreOffice Writer

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 06:28:17 UTC 2013

On 02/13/2013 12:49 PM, Richard C. Steffens wrote:

> There's only a README file that directory. It says:
>
> --------------------------------------
> License refused.
>
> Please reinstall the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package (e.g. via
>    apt-get install --reinstall ttf-mscorefonts-installer
> to get prompted for the license again.
> --------------------------------------

You may want to consider open source fonts - no EULA, licenses, etc to
deal with.  Don't forget: if you click YES to the EULA, you can legally
bound to comply with the Microsoft font usage restrictions. Instead,
Check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberation_fonts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Libertine

and

http://www.openfontlibrary.org/

In Libreoffice, you can go to "TOOLS - OPTIONS" then Libreoffice -
Fonts  to define a font substitution table.

You can also check out Bitstream Vera:
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/ttf-bitstream-vera/1.10/
The DejaVa fonts shipped with most linux distros are derivatives of
Vera:
http://dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/index.php?title=Bitstream_Vera_derivatives

><rant on>
>Aren't all these "improvements" wonderful?
><rant off>

You get want you pay for.  Would you rather have Ubuntu/Canonical sued
of existence?  I'm not a stickler for stripping my Linux installs
completely clear of all  proprietary non F/OSS software. Some is useful
and provided with reasonable licensing (games, drivers, etc).  But I try
to limit corporate intrusion if OSS alternatives are available.

That's my 2 cents.