[PLUG] Shutdown interrupted

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Sun Feb 24 05:34:50 UTC 2013

>>>>> "David" == David Fleck <david.fleck at mchsi.com> writes:

David> Another vote for "Shutdown Anyway".  Again, not that it helps
David> you much, sorry.

David> But it is an occasion for me to complain about yet another
David> instance of what this old UNIX crank sees as the creeping
David> Windows-ization of Linux, at least in popular newbie-oriented
David> distros like Ubuntu.  There comes a point when hiding
David> complexity from the user becomes harmful, and cryptic system
David> messages like this strike me as a good example.

David> *What* program is still running?  What PID?  What lockfile?

David> Come on, Ubuntu, would giving up those bits of information
David> really be so hard?

One of my "users" recently reported occasional hung shutdowns.  Turns
out, when this occurred he had been running virtualbox and had
shutdown a windows vm in a suspended state.  I am guessing that a
shared filesystem from the vm on the host was responsible.

seniorr at aracnet.com