[PLUG] Linux(ubuntu) Motherboard

plugng3 at martinconsulting.com plugng3 at martinconsulting.com
Wed Jan 2 20:46:17 UTC 2013

> The fact remains that electrolytic caps are very good electronic noise
filters, and I would bet that nearly every power supply in all of our houses
and data centers employs them.

I will bow to those more knowledgeable than I regarding the current status
of electrolytic capacitors.  I understand that even good electrolytic
capacitors degrade with normal use - but that might just be misinformation.
Somebody please set me straight if I'm wrong about that.

The two things I do know in this regards are:
1) Well respected brands of motherboards are available that don't use
electrolytics;
2) Since I started avoiding boards with electrolytic capacitors, I haven't
had a board fail.

Given that, I choose to avoid electrolytic capacitors when I can.

              -Brian M.