[PLUG] Sound Issue

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Thu Jan 3 15:14:57 UTC 2013

On 01/02/2013 04:23 PM, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> I can hear sound coming from somewhere in the tower, which is rather
> weird because I don't see a speaker anywhere. I have the tower
> standing on a plywood riser under the desk. The speakers are sitting
> on top of the desk. The sound is definitely coming from the tower.
> Adjusting the volume control on the speakers only generates a bit of
> static from the speakers.

I opened up the box, checked the connectors that plug into the front
panel, stared at the mother board block that houses the audio jacks on
the rear panel, muttered at it all, looked for but did not see any
internal speaker(s), closed the box and powered back up. This time I
plugged the external speakers into the front headphone jack. I have
Ubuntu 12.04 on this machine. I did not hear the African sounding music
I usually hear when I log in.

I started up Rhythmbox and tried playing an audio file. Rhythmbox crashed.

I opened the same audio file with Audacity. It played correctly through
the external speakers. I moved the speaker plug to the rear jack and
played the same file, again. No sound from the external speakers -- I
picked one up and held it to my ear -- but there was definitely correct
sound coming from under the table. Very strange. I moved the plug back
to the front jack, played the file again, and the sound comes from the
external speakers.

Any other thoughts?

--
Regards,