[PLUG] Web design software?

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Thu Jan 3 15:16:14 UTC 2013

John,

It sounds as if you want advice on how to build a custom online
marketplace/auction (like ubid, or amazon). At this point, we have offered
several suggestions. IMO, you have three options. One, hire someone to
build the site for you., Two, learn how to do it yourself. This option may
take longer, but may be more satisfying. Three, change your requirements to
fit into the offerings of point and click solutions like wordpress or
drupal or plone or.... I don't think you will find a point and click site
builder that has a full blown marketplace with private currency out of the
box.

For the last two options, you will, as a minimal effort, have to create a
logo and visual appearance of your site and that will require (1) knowledge
of graphics and design, (2) knowledge of the tool you choose to use to
build the site so you can add your logo, fonts, colors, images etc. to the
stock site and (3) some knowledge of the underlying tools your tool is
built upon (HTML, CSS, Javascript, etc.) to make the changes to customize
your site.

Finally, I agree with John Sechrest's post: before you build anything, find
out what your target consumers want - it usually is very different than
what you think they want. You can kill two birds with one stone...while
doing your market research, start learning how to use the tools you will
need to build your site.

Good Luck!

Mark