[PLUG] Sound Issue

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Thu Jan 3 16:37:11 UTC 2013

On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 07:14:57 -0800
"Richard C. Steffens" <rsteff at comcast.net> wrote:

> I started up Rhythmbox and tried playing an audio file. Rhythmbox
> crashed.

How typical.  (I gave up on Rhythmbox quite a while ago.)

> I opened the same audio file with Audacity. It played correctly
> through the external speakers. I moved the speaker plug to the rear
> jack and played the same file, again. No sound from the external
> speakers -- I picked one up and held it to my ear -- but there was
> definitely correct sound coming from under the table. Very strange. I
> moved the plug back to the front jack, played the file again, and the
> sound comes from the external speakers.
>
> Any other thoughts?

Open up your box again, only this time boot it up and try playing
some music.  Use a cardboard tube (say, from a roll of waxed
paper) to one ear to determine where the "phantom" sound is coming
from.  I've used this technique to find the source of odd sounds
before -- it's surprising how well it works.  I'd be willing to
bet that there's some odd, non-speaker-looking component on the
motherboard that's acting as the speaker.

As for the rear sound connectors, since everything worked before
you installed your new DVD, it's most likely a loose connection.
Try wiggling and pushing on the cable connectors while you're
playing music.  Double check the connections to make sure that one
of the cables isn't plugged in wrong (i.e., offset by one, turned
around backwards).

Hope this helps.

--Dale

--
"I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on mag tape somewhere."
    -- Peter daSilva