[PLUG] Sound Issue

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Jan 4 17:48:24 UTC 2013

On 01/03/2013 04:05 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> isn't there supposed to be a cable from the audio out on the drive to
> the sound card or, if using sound on the motherboard, to the
> motherboard?

I remember that cable from my first CD-ROM drive. IIRC it carried a
signal from the drive to the sound hardware so that one could play a
music CD without much intervention on the part of the rest of the
computer. I haven't seen one in use for a number of years.

> But maybe SATA drives carry the sound signal in the SATA data cable?
> Somehow that sound signal has to get to the sound card or motherboard.

If so, then I would expect it would be part of the mother board printed
wiring.

> But I've never used a SATA optical drive, so I don't know how they
> might be different.
>
> Wait, you said you had sound out the front speaker jacks. Then the
> signal must be getting from the drive to the sound chip. I'll shut up
> now.

Actually, I haven't tried listening to a CD or DVD through the new
drive, yet.
But, more discoveries have been made. Stand by for my reply to Dale's post.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens