[PLUG] Web design software?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Jan 5 00:19:46 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2 Jan 2013 09:50:47 -0800
Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> dijo:

>On Tue, Jan 01, 2013 at 08:36:39PM -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> I am considering creating a simple web site where people can trade
>> supplies needed for sleep apnea equipment. (Supplies do not require a
>> prescription.) This will be a labor of love pro bono. I expect I may
>> have to pay out of pocket for the domain, but hopefully that can be
>> minimized.
>
>Domains are $10/yr or less - consider a .org or .us from Joker, Gandi
>or (bleurgh) GoDaddy.
>
>It sounds like you're looking for a forum/bulletin-board/message-board
>system.  There are lots out there.  phpBB is very popular.

Well, I'm afraid it's time to pull the plug. I have the financial
resources for hosting and domain registration, but I completely lack
any knowledge of how to create the content. I have done quite a bit of
googling on possible solutions, but there are no ready-to-use options.
Classes are starting next week at PSU and I don't have time to become a
web developer, especially just for one site. Hiring someone is an
option, but sounds very expen$ive. The site would be not for profit, so
there would be no revenue to pay someone from.

So for now this idea is dead. I want to thank everyone for the input.
You gave me a lot of things to think about and helped me form a clearer
idea of what kind of site would be needed to serve the many people who
would make use of it.