[PLUG] Outgoing Email Problem

Jim Garrison jhg at jhmg.net
Wed Jan 9 20:01:50 UTC 2013

On 1/9/2013 10:30 AM, Bill Thoen wrote:
> Jan  9 10:22:22 oneimage postfix/smtpd[19511]: fatal: No server certs
> available. TLS can't be enabled

In order for postfix to run TLS, you have to have generated a server
certificate.  Normally (for a public server) you buy one from a
recognized certificate authority (CA) but it's easy to make your
own.  The drawback is that clients like Thunderbird will complain
about the certificate not being issued by a known CA.  You get the
"Server identity cannot be verified" (or similar) message.
Depending on the email client you use you may or may not be able
to "accept permanently" to skip the warning.

I run my own postfix server, but it's been a long time since I
had to generate a certificate, so I'll have to dig up my notes.

It's not clear from your post what the network architecture
looks like.  Does the postfix server have the DHCP address, or
are you referring to a different system?  Can you provide a
better description of the systems involved and how they networked?

--
Jim Garrison (jhg at acm.org)
PGP Keys at http://www.jhmg.net RSA 0x04B73B7F DH 0x70738D88