[PLUG] Outgoing Email Problem

Mike C. mconnors1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 20:42:50 UTC 2013

Jan  9 10:22:22 oneimage postfix/smtpd[19511]: fatal: No server certs
> available. TLS can't be enabled
> Jan  9 10:22:23 oneimage postfix/master[7667]: warning: process
> /usr/libexec/postfix/smtpd pid 19511 exit status 1
> Jan  9 10:22:23 oneimage postfix/master[7667]: warning:
> /usr/libexec/postfix/smtpd: bad command startup -- throttling
>
> These repeat excessively. What I was trying to do was configure Postfix
> / Dovecot so that when I go to pick up my mail it is encrypted first. So
> I set the SMTP server to use "normal password" and SSL/TLS protocol on
> port 465. I don't think it's really asking for breath mints, so what's
> it talking about "certs" for? I think this is CentoOS 6. Anyway, Postfix
> was the default, not Sendmail.
>
> Another problem (which is probably related) is that the machine I call
> in on and use to upload my email for delivery, gets it's IP via DHCP.
> But the IP that I'm assigned comes from Verizon, and they draw from a
> rather large pool of IPs. The range of potential IPs that I might be
> assigned even crosses class B networks. One hour my IP  might be
> 75.220.34.136 and the next time it might be something completely
> different. In any case the possible range is large. So what would I use
> for $mynetworks in main.cf so that I can allow relaying for  my outgoing
> email?? Or for remote devices using DHCP, do you use another strategy to
> permit them to send outgoing mail?
>
> I have no problems sending out email from my local network, so I'm
> pretty sure that I've got things partly right, but how do I tell the
> smtp server how to recognize me even if I  might be using any IP in say,
> 75.192.0.0/10? Because if I put 75.192.0.0/10 in $mynetworks, that seems
> like a pretty wide filter and doesn't give me the security I want. Or am
> I totally confused on what's actually going on? (I'm pretty new to the
> whole subject of email transfers.)

The blurb below from this article,
http://postfixmail.com/blog/index.php/postfix-relay-control/, leads me to
believe it might be helpful in understanding and/or fixing your problem.

"The mynetworks parameter allows you to set individual IP Addresses or
subnets. When this parameter is used the mynetworks_style parameter is
ignored. In the example below an internal private network is included as
well as a public subnet. The example also includes a single IP Address.
This gives you flexibility in configuring the options.
mynetworks=192.168.5.0/24 12.32.34.32 216.168.0.1/24