[PLUG] Conference posters

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Jan 9 20:49:02 UTC 2013

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 12:32:11 -0800
Keith Lofstrom <keithl at gate.kl-ic.com> dijo:

>Presenting at a poster session next month, probably two posters
>36 inch wide 48 inch tall, almost all graphics (Text goes in
>handout preprints).  I assume the correct tool is scribus and
>transfer format is PDF.  I will use vector graphics where I can,
>but some of the pictures will be massaged bitmaps.
>
>Suggested printshops better than Kinko's?  What DPI should I assume?

Your assumptions are correct. Bitmaps should probably be 300 dpi with
screen at 130 lpi or better. How high the screen can be depends on
resolution the output device is capable of, hence, check with the
printer on what dpi and lpi they recommend for bitmaps.

Re places to get it done, check with Michael Dexter. He got some very
large posters for the PLUG booth at OSCON for a very reasonable price.
I think he said Costco, but my memory is dim.