[PLUG] Local (Portland/Beaverton) Colo at reasonable cost?

Jim Garrison jhg at jhmg.net
Wed Jan 9 21:14:55 UTC 2013

I currently have a server with cari.net.  For about $60/month I get
root access on a Celeron 3GHz (dual core) with 4GB memory, 150GB disk
and 2TB/month bandwidth.  This is a real server sitting in a rack,
and is way more than enough capacity for my needs (hosting email and
a few small sites).

I've had this sytem for about 8 years, and normally every couple
of years I upgrade the OS. cari.net provides me a new box with
the new OS and I migrate my configuration, after which they
move the IPs to the new box.

cari.net is phasing out their low-end machines in favor of cloud
systems and much more expensive (and powerful) "real" systems.
To get something similar to what I have now would cost over
$100/month, which I can't justify.

Is there a local colo facility where I could rent a similar
hardware setup, or maybe even just a 1U space where I could
install my own box?  All I'd really need is power and
bandwidth.  Boot console access would be nice but I've
done fine without it. In 8 years I've had to ask cari.net
for a manual reboot twice.

Since I run an SMTP server, the only other requirement is IP
addresses on a blacklist-clean class C block.

Suggestions?

--
Jim Garrison (jhg at acm.org)
PGP Keys at http://www.jhmg.net RSA 0x04B73B7F DH 0x70738D88