[PLUG] Outgoing Email Problem

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Thu Jan 10 21:34:59 UTC 2013

On 01/09/2013 01:01 PM, Jim Garrison wrote:
> On 1/9/2013 10:30 AM, Bill Thoen wrote:
>> Jan  9 10:22:22 oneimage postfix/smtpd[19511]: fatal: No server certs
>> available. TLS can't be enabled
> In order for postfix to run TLS, you have to have generated a server
> certificate.  Normally (for a public server) you buy one from a
> recognized certificate authority (CA) but it's easy to make your
> own.  The drawback is that clients like Thunderbird will complain
> about the certificate not being issued by a known CA.  You get the
> "Server identity cannot be verified" (or similar) message.
> Depending on the email client you use you may or may not be able
> to "accept permanently" to skip the warning.
>
> I run my own postfix server, but it's been a long time since I
> had to generate a certificate, so I'll have to dig up my notes.
>
> It's not clear from your post what the network architecture
> looks like.  Does the postfix server have the DHCP address, or
> are you referring to a different system?  Can you provide a
> better description of the systems involved and how they networked?
The server is physicaly in my office, and the computers I'm wanting to
use are getting Internet access from two different ISPs, but both
generate DHCP IP addresses when I use these machines online. My server
doesn't know them as "friendlies" so it won't accept any mail from them
for redelivery.

When you refer to making your own certs is this the same certificate
generator that you use for say, pass-wordless logins?  If so, then I've
got notes on that.

- Bill Thoen