[PLUG] Power up issue

Jim Garrison jhg at jhmg.net
Fri Jan 11 01:14:54 UTC 2013

On 1/10/2013 4:00 PM, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> On 01/10/2013 03:33 PM, Jim Garrison wrote:
>> Do you get any beep codes (sequences of beeps in distinct groupings).
>> If so check the motherboard manufacturer's support documents to
>> decipher the codes.
>
> Not that I noticed. Just the loud fan noise. I'll have the box open when
> I power it up after disconnecting the other stuff. I assume it's not a
> good idea to let it run very long without the CPU fan running.

The CPU fan plugs into the motherboard, not the power supply directly
DON'T run the system with the CPU fan (or any other fan that
plugs into the motherboard) disconnected.  Disconnect only
peripherals that get their power directly from the PS via
4-pin plugs or SATA power connectors.  If you have a graphics
card that needs auxiliary power and has a PS connector, I
believe you can run those without the aux power but won't have
access to the high-end functions of the GPU, which you won't need.

--
Jim Garrison (jhg at acm.org)
PGP Keys at http://www.jhmg.net RSA 0x04B73B7F DH 0x70738D88