[PLUG] WRT54G Config.bin

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Fri Jan 11 21:28:09 UTC 2013

>>>>> "Richard" == Richard C Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net> writes:

Richard> Over the past few weeks I've found my machines unable to
Richard> access the Internet first thing in the morning. At first I
Richard> thought it was the cable modem. So I followed the method of
Richard> pulling the plug on the modem, waiting a few seconds, and
Richard> then plugging it back in. Since I have done this over the
Richard> years I learned that sometimes my router would need to be
Richard> reset as well, so I usually pull the power plug out of it
Richard> before plugging the modem back in. I'd then wait for all the
Richard> lights on the modem to turn green before plugging the router
Richard> back in.

Next time this happenns, I would try to log into the web interface of
the WRT54G and see if it has an IP address or a lease.  I've seen
several cases recently where a lease renewal doesn't happen and the
leasee gives up and sits there dumbly with no address.  Naturally,
your packets then go nowhere.

The other thing I'd do is (if the router is reflashable) is put
OpenWrt on it, so that you can log in and investigate more
thoroughly.

Oh, and then I'd get a new router.  I just started playing with a
Buffalo WZR-600DHP (dual band, 680 MHz CPU, gigE ports, 128 meg ram,
32 meg flash, supported by OpenWrt).  $70 from newegg or amazon.

seniorr at aracnet.com