[PLUG] WRT54G Config.bin

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Jan 11 21:52:18 UTC 2013

On 01/11/2013 01:28 PM, Russell Senior wrote:
> Richard> Over the past few weeks I've found my machines unable to
> Richard> access the Internet first thing in the morning. At first I
> Richard> thought it was the cable modem. So I followed the method of
> Richard> pulling the plug on the modem, waiting a few seconds, and
> Richard> then plugging it back in. Since I have done this over the
> Richard> years I learned that sometimes my router would need to be
> Richard> reset as well, so I usually pull the power plug out of it
> Richard> before plugging the modem back in. I'd then wait for all the
> Richard> lights on the modem to turn green before plugging the router
> Richard> back in.
>
> Next time this happenns, I would try to log into the web interface of
> the WRT54G and see if it has an IP address or a lease.  I've seen
> several cases recently where a lease renewal doesn't happen and the
> leasee gives up and sits there dumbly with no address.  Naturally,
> your packets then go nowhere.

I'll do that the next time it happens.

> The other thing I'd do is (if the router is reflashable) is put
> OpenWrt on it, so that you can log in and investigate more
> thoroughly.

It's a model # WRT54G ver. 6, Firmware Version v1.00.9, May 12, 2006.

Under the Administration tab on the router's page there is a section
called Firmware Upgrade. If there's an upgrade suitable for my model,
then that's something I'll think about.

> Oh, and then I'd get a new router.  I just started playing with a
> Buffalo WZR-600DHP (dual band, 680 MHz CPU, gigE ports, 128 meg ram,
> 32 meg flash, supported by OpenWrt).  $70 from newegg or amazon.

Also something to keep in mind. I'll save your e-mail for future reference.

Thanks.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens