[PLUG] Laptop, Sound Codecs, Modules, and Intel Hardware

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Jan 13 18:33:49 UTC 2013

   I've been digging further trying to get sound working on the Sony Vaio
PCG-61A14L with its Intel sound chip(s).

   Found a Slackware page that suggested adding
/etc/modprobe.d/snd-hda-intel.conf with an option of model=auto. That did
not fix the problem. Neither did changing the model to vaio.

   Next on the page were instructions on checking /proc/sound/ for the
installed codecs; that revealed two of them: Conextant GXZ0590 and Intel
CougarPoint HDMI. A search of the source code document directory file for
the snd-hda-intel Codecs did not find either of these.

   A DuckDuckGo search for the make, model, and 'snd-hda-intel' found a
number of hits referring to ubuntu and CentOS. Tried a couple of their
reported solutions, but to no avail. A related search for make, model,
distribution and 'no sound' returned a few hits on the make and model but
that's all.

   When I try to play a test .mp3 the system tells me no driver is found. I'm
confident that we have sufficient hardware, Intel, and driver module
expertise on the list here to help me figure out what to do next. If more
information would be helpful I'll get it.

Thanks,