[PLUG] Laptop, Sound Codecs, Modules, and Intel Hardware

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 21:35:00 UTC 2013

On 01/13/2013 10:33 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>     I've been digging further trying to get sound working on the Sony Vaio
> PCG-61A14L with its Intel sound chip(s).
>
>     Found a Slackware page that suggested adding
> /etc/modprobe.d/snd-hda-intel.conf with an option of model=auto. That did
> not fix the problem. Neither did changing the model to vaio.
>
>     Next on the page were instructions on checking /proc/sound/ for the
> installed codecs; that revealed two of them: Conextant GXZ0590 and Intel
> CougarPoint HDMI. A search of the source code document directory file for
> the snd-hda-intel Codecs did not find either of these.
>
>     A DuckDuckGo search for the make, model, and 'snd-hda-intel' found a
> number of hits referring to ubuntu and CentOS. Tried a couple of their
> reported solutions, but to no avail. A related search for make, model,
> distribution and 'no sound' returned a few hits on the make and model but
> that's all.
>
>     When I try to play a test .mp3 the system tells me no driver is found. I'm
> confident that we have sufficient hardware, Intel, and driver module
> expertise on the list here to help me figure out what to do next. If more
> information would be helpful I'll get it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

Did you check 'lspci" to see if the kernel sees the Intel sound chip?  I
don't have my Intel laptop running, but you should see something like
this as root:

$ sudo /sbin/lspci |grep -E 'Audio|audio'
01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation GF108 High Definition Audio
Controller (rev a1)
03:03.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 03)

$ /sbin/lspci -v

03:03.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 03)
     Subsystem: Creative Labs SB0090 Audigy Player
     I/O ports at e400 [size=32]
     Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
     Kernel driver in use: snd_emu10k1

If the "kernel driver in use" is missing or blank,then you don't have
the Alsa kernel module loaded.  Also, in my example, and in your
statement above, you have a HDMI controller (mine's on the Geforce
GT430).  Your audio might be going to that by default.  for example,
/etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf

alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1

and /etc/modprobe.d/snd-hdmi.conf

# Don't load HDMI sound from the Nvidia GPU card
blacklist snd_hda_intel

As I do not use the HDMI port.

Also, did you run alsamixer to make sure you sound is not muted? Did run
check "aplay -L' to see what audio channels ALSA found ('aplay -l' gives
devices 'small ell')?  And then use "speaker-test" to see where the
sound is going? For example,

$ aplay -L
null
default:CARD=Audigy
     SB Audigy 1 [SB0090], ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
     Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=Audigy
     SB Audigy 1 [SB0090], ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
front:CARD=Audigy,DEV=0
     SB Audigy 1 [SB0090], ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
     Front speakers
rear:CARD=Audigy,DEV=0
     SB Audigy 1 [SB0090], ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
     Rear speakers
center_lfe:CARD=Audigy,DEV=0
     SB Audigy 1 [SB0090], ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
     Center and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=Audigy,DEV=0
     SB Audigy 1 [SB0090], ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
surround41:CARD=Audigy,DEV=0
     SB Audigy 1 [SB0090], ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
surround50:CARD=Audigy,DEV=0
     SB Audigy 1 [SB0090], ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
surround51:CARD=Audigy,DEV=0
     SB Audigy 1 [SB0090], ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
iec958:CARD=Audigy,DEV=0
     SB Audigy 1 [SB0090], ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
     IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

$ speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -twav

speaker-test 1.0.26

Playback device is plug:front
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
WAV file(s)
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 64 to 16384
Period size range from 16 to 16384
Using max buffer size 16384
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 4096
was set buffer_size = 16384
  0 - Front Left
  1 - Front Right
Time per period = 2.731624
(repeats until Ctrl-C)

Forget Ubuntu how-tos: most of then have the extra complexity of
pulsaudio.  BTW, the laptop number you gave is not the true model number
but the series.  Somewhere there should be a tag with any of so you can
look up at Sony www the actual hardware specs:
  VPCEG11FX
  VPCEG11FXB
  VPCEG11FXL
  VPCEG11FXP