[PLUG] Laptop, Sound Codecs, Modules, and Intel Hardware

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Sun Jan 13 23:45:53 UTC 2013

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 14:23:38 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jan 2013, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>    Trying to run alsamixer returns 'cannot open mixer: no such file or
> directory.' The alsa packages are installed and /usr/bin/alsamixer is
> present (66648 bytes) with 755 permissions, yet even the full path
> invocation returns the same message. What might cause this?

What version of alsa-utils are you running?  I've got the latest
(1.0.26) here, and my alsamixer is 77312 bytes.  It's possible you
have a corrupted file.  (Or it could just be differences in how
Fedora and Slackware compiled it.)

In your reply to my previous message, you said that the module was
loaded, and that the kernel could see the card.  This is good, since
it helps narrow down the problem.  It's possible that your alsa
installation is broken.  This would certainly account for your
troubles.  Note, too, that asla defaults to all outputs muted, until
something comes along and unmutes them, which is probably why you
don't have any sound.  You might try re-installing alsa, and see if
that helps.

You also might want to check the Alsa home page,
<http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page>, to see if they
have any hints.

Hope this helps.

--Dale

--
Q:	What lies on the bottom of the ocean and twitches?
A:	A nervous wreck.