[PLUG] Laptop, Sound Codecs, Modules, and Intel Hardware

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jan 14 20:47:25 UTC 2013

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   When I try to play a test .mp3 the system tells me no driver is found.

   Here's another sound issue that might be at the root of the problem: for a
reason I have not been able to determine, a user on the Sony cannot run
'alsamixer'; not even '/usr/bin/alsamixer'; the kernel returns 'file or
directory not found.'

   But, the permissions on /usr/bin/alsamixer are 755, as they are on my
server/workstation, and a user on the latter can invoke alsamixer. What
might be the problem here? This may be the key to the whole sound issue.