[PLUG] upgrade from 11.04 to 12.04

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Jan 14 23:02:28 UTC 2013

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:19:28 -0800
Denis Heidtmann <denis.heidtmann at gmail.com> dijo:

>I need to (sometime) upgrade my desktop from ubuntu 11.04 LTS to
>something 12.04 LTS.  Not being happy with Unity, I think I have
>settled on XFCE.
>
>The choices I solicit opinions on are:
>1)upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04 then switch to XFCE
>2)Fresh install of Xubuntu 12.04.
>
>I do not see an option to upgrade from Ubuntu 11.04 to Xubuntu 12.04,
>but if such an option exists, make it #3.
>
>1) is easier, but others have reported problems with upgrades.  Also,
>switching to XFCE after installing Unity some people have complained
>about.

Whether to choose new install or upgrade depends to a large extent on
how much you have invested in your current installation. In my case it
would take a week to reinstall all programs and reconfigure everything,
so I always go for an upgrade. Usually it goes OK, although sometimes I
have some grief to fix afterward. But if you have little in the way of
personal customizations and installed applications, I'd go for the
fresh install.