[PLUG] User and Group Recipes?

Michael Dexter dexter at ambidexter.com
Tue Jan 15 20:42:16 UTC 2013

Hello all,

I confess that it's been just root and me on my boxes for... ever but I
am now configuring more workgroup networks. As with all good
documentation, I come across lots of "here's how you configure group
permissions" with zero attention to strategies such as common r/o files,
shared individual files, private files, per-user drop boxes for other
users, mobile groups and the like... then the fun of when Samba does and
does not respect specific permissions and then of course ACL's and how
NFS might see things.

The best model for this I have found is "Samba 3 by Example" which
describes hypothetical offices but only a handful without newfangled
things like Mac TimeMachine backups, shadow copies and the like.

Clearly one can easily paint themselves into several distributed corners.

Links?

Might someone want to give a talk on this subject?

Michael