[PLUG] 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Wed Jan 16 01:21:34 UTC 2013

When one goes to the download page for Ubuntu 12.04 on finds two options
for the Desktop CD, on labeled "PC (Intel x86) desktop CD," and the
other labeled, "64-bit PC (AMD64) desktop CD." The description of the
first option makes it clear that it applies to, "Intel/AMD/etc type
processors." The description of the second option is less clear. It
says, "Choose this to take full advantage of computers based on the
AMD64 or EM64T architecture (e.g., Athlon64, Opteron, EM64T Xeon, Core
2)." The description of the processor chip in my test machine doesn't
use any of the words in the Ubuntu 64 bit description, but from recent
web research it appears that it does indeed apply to my processor.

So, just to be sure, does the 64-bit PC (AMD64) desktop CD really apply
to my Intel processor?

Thanks.

--
Regards,