[PLUG] 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04

Matt McKenzie lnxknight at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 01:40:45 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 5:21 PM, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net>wrote:

> When one goes to the download page for Ubuntu 12.04 on finds two options
> for the Desktop CD, on labeled "PC (Intel x86) desktop CD," and the
> other labeled, "64-bit PC (AMD64) desktop CD." The description of the
> first option makes it clear that it applies to, "Intel/AMD/etc type
> processors." The description of the second option is less clear. It
> says, "Choose this to take full advantage of computers based on the
> AMD64 or EM64T architecture (e.g., Athlon64, Opteron, EM64T Xeon, Core
> 2)." The description of the processor chip in my test machine doesn't
> use any of the words in the Ubuntu 64 bit description, but from recent
> web research it appears that it does indeed apply to my processor.
>
> So, just to be sure, does the 64-bit PC (AMD64) desktop CD really apply
> to my Intel processor?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens

Maybe you have this in another post, but can you tell us exactly what model
CPU you have?
Output of /proc/cpuinfo would help also.

Basically if your system is 64bit you would want to use the 64bit version,
but there could be gotchas if you have never used 64bit before.
If your system has 4GB or less of RAM the benefits of using the 64bit
version aren't as apparent (32bit OS can only use 4GB without modification).

More or less any Intel CPU post Core 2 Duo (Conroe) era is 64bit.

Most distros these days will have an x86 (32bit) and a 64bit version, the
second option from Ubuntu is for 64bit CPUs, either AMD or Intel.