[PLUG] 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04

Rick rdoyle16+plug at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 01:47:18 UTC 2013

If I recall correctly (sorry, don't have time to verify via Wikipedia,
etc.)...

Intel's original 64-bit architecture/instruction set (for Itanium
processors) was not a commercial success... at least not in the consumer
space. The instruction set used by Intel's non-Itanium processors is
more-or-less the same as the one that AMD adopted for their original 64-bit
processors (Itanium competitors?)... I'm not really sure who created that
instruction set (AMD, Intel, other?)... but AMD is usually given the
"credit" as you have found... although I feel the "x86-64" phrasing to be
more clear/accurate (although more easily mistaken for just plain old "x86".

I'm sure someone here has a deeper understanding, better recollection,
and/or or more time to look it up right now than I do... hopefully I
haven't led you too far astray.  :-)