[PLUG] 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Wed Jan 16 19:44:31 UTC 2013

On 01/15/2013 09:21 PM, Matt McKenzie wrote:
> So according to the [flags] section you do indeed have a 64bit CPU.
> This reference is helpful.  The main thing to look for is the "lm" flag,
> which AMD first called "long mode", for 64bit addressing.

I successfully installed the 64 bit version of Ubuntu 12.04 last evening.

> So even though you only have 3GB RAM it might not hurt to jump into the
> 64bit pool now, get used to any quirks (probably not as many as when 64bit
> first came to consumer desktops), so you can be prepared to take advantage
> of it if/when you get more RAM.

I have "DDR2 Synchronous 533 MHz" installed now, two 1GB sticks and two
512 MB sticks. One of these days I'll see if I can find some more 1GB
sticks. I did a bit of web searching and see on Wikipedia
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM) that I can mix memory with
different speed ratings, but that the motherboard will probably run the
higher rated memory at the lower speed. Is this something to be avoided?

> And let's face it more RAM is always a nice thing to have ;).

Indeed. I've been fooling with Kdenlive (video editing program) and had
it installed on both machines. I ran into a shortage of memory issue on
the machine with only 3GB that wasn't a problem on the machine with 4GB.

Thanks for the insights.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens